Thursday, May 16, 2013

The Age of Ideas

One of the hardest parts about any project is starting it. There are tons of different reasons for this. Some people get hung up on the perfect first sentence, or spend hours trying to come up with the perfect character name. Some people might have trouble fitting their character's description into the narrative. My personal problem? I never want to commit to a single idea. The beginning of a project always marks a time of uncertainty for me, a time in which idea after idea chases through my head, begging to be written. If I ever start on one, the others all suddenly seem so much more appealing.


I'm sure I'm not the only one. The grass is always greener and all that jazz. I have a solid start on my current project, the one I've posted two chapters of. I know I can make it work if I stick with it, but at the same time another project, one inspired by a fanfiction I spent the better part of a year working on, is jumping and waving it's arms in my face. I've also considered rewriting my first book, and working on an old idea I had during NaNoWriMo one year.

I'll probably end up finishing my current project, which should be easier now that I'm home from college for the summer. If my new ideas are still demanding to be written by the time I finish them, I'll know they're more than just passing thoughts.

What do you find hardest when starting a new project? Do you have any tips for working through those problems? Leave a comment if you do.

2 comments:

  1. You really need to stick to one project. I've started several new projects while working on a few big projects and these new ones always overtake the main one, and it dies a miserable death. It can be revived but it shouldn't have to die in the first. I do get the thrill of a new idea though. I don't have much trouble starting plans, but I do have a lot of trouble sticking to them. I think it's why I stick to short stories really. Jot these new ideas down, and maybe do some planning for them, but only write for one project at a time. If you find yourself tempted to work on something else, then look at the project you might be giving up and see how it is suffering.

    ReplyDelete